Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Church

Recently I was asked if it was wrong not to go to church. And while I managed an answer of no as long as you are having fellowship with other believers. Which is what I believe but I know that the person I was having this conversation with realized how stunned I was by the comment that they were no longer attending church and since then I have wrestled with why that stunned me before. I have never thought you had to go to church but I obviously have deep feelings for the church. And tonight I realized why



In the closing words of a prayer during small group I realized I have fallen in love with the people at my church. They have supported me in the good times and bad. They have prayed with me. And I have prayed for them. They have been my mentors and I have mentored some of them. Basically these people are family. I think it is more than what we would consider fellowship because I think of fellowship as hanging out with people but the people I feel this way about know the real me. They have seen me be myself, being truly honest in worship with God. And that is what I love about the people of the church, they let me be me.

So I agree that maybe you don't have to be in church. But I encourage you to make sure you have people you can be honest with. People who will know the real you. You need people you will challenge and people who will challenge you. That is what the Christian walk is about. Surrounding you with people who keep you going - how you do that is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment